1. Everything is beautiful. We will wrap our writers’ fingertips around the crumpled edge of anything and find something complex and perfect and memorable, even if it is the easiest thing to forget.
2. Everything is painful. We love deep and we love long and there is a certain kind of pain that comes from walking through this world with empty hands and open hearts. There is tragedy in being so desperately unprotected; it’s expected that a writer will live to feel a hundred broken hearts. A writer will write to heal a thousand. Almost half of those will be their own.
3. I am not just a writer. I am a woman. I am a Siren. I am my dreams and fears and chances and in a weary world
I am begging for words of strength. I am defining the feelings; you fall asleep asking for the meaning. I am more than just a writer.
4. Having a lot to say is not a bad thing. That something pouring over your edges is not a predestined ellipses of a life too full to be contained. Do not be afraid to repeat yourself. Do not be afraid to repeat yourself.
5. I stand here before you as if I stand before still waters. I speak with care before I dare hurl stones and ripple water. I respect you. I perceive the difference between a stage and a soap box. But do not mistake me for having nothing strong to say.
6. The world is full of lovely words. You are not a writer unless you fill yourself with them. You can not be a writer and not read.
7. Not everyone will love what you have to say. Sometimes even you will not love what you have to say. For this very reason, you must persevere. You must
twist your palms around the curve of your favorite pen; slam the keys and crumple the paper. Fight for the phrase that changes you. Do not settle for that which does not move you.
8. We love to share these fragments of ourselves. We love to uncoil our tongues around the way our hearts feel and understand everything we never knew they could. So do not underestimate the creation that is in you, and in the end, do this for no one but yourself. On your best day, the words you find will mean more to you than anyone else.
This is how it should be.